"Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality." -Warren G. Bennis

Sunday, October 9, 2011

MISMATCH: Learning from the Negatives


It was difficult for me to identify a clear match or mismatch as a follower as it relates to Blanchard’s situational theory, so I decided to discuss the leader perspective.  For the past year I have been the president of the Hospitality and Tourism Management Student Association and I have learned a lot about others and myself.  The theories we have explored have given me a means and guidelines to actually formulate solid (or not so solid) ideas about the experiences I’ve had throughout the past year as a leader.  Prior to beginning the course, the “stuff I learned” was just a bunch of stuff floating in my head with no real explanations.  That being said, I will use Blanchard’s model to discuss a mismatch that had negative affects in my very general leadership situation.

SITUATION:
         At one point or another all teams have their strong players and their weak players, right?  So, what leadership behavior should the coach use for each player (in regard to their readiness)? 
         My team had both strong and not so strong players.  For the strong players, I used somewhat of a selling behavior, high task and high relationship.  However, for the not as strong players, I used more of a participating behavior, high relationship and low task.  As a result, I would complete tasks that were supposed to be done by other team members and not holding them accountable for not completing these tasks.
         Overall, this created a mismatch because the stronger team players expected me to use the same leadership style on everyone and ultimately hold each team member accountable in the same way.  This had a negative effect because I lost some trust and motivation from my stronger team members.  Why should they work so hard to complete their tasks if they saw someone else would do their job?  So, I thought that completing tasks for others was helping the team get things accomplished, but I learned that it actually was breaking the team even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment