"Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality." -Warren G. Bennis

Friday, September 30, 2011

LPI: Leadership Practices Inventory Exploration

After scoring myself on the LPI, I had two others score me: a peer and a manager.  I then compared the scores and chose four leadership behaviors that seemed most interesting based on their similarities and differences.  On random, each behavior I chose to explore further is categorized under a different practice.     

#9: Actively listens to diverse points of view. (Enable Others to Act)
            My Score: 5  Peer’s Score: 9  Manager’s Score: 10
DIFFERENCE: In my archetype blog I mentioned that sometimes I make up my own mind on an issue and mentally block out all other opinions and points of view- that is why I scored myself as only occasionally listening to diverse points of view.  In this situation, I think that this is a positive difference because others do not see that I ‘shut down’.  Or maybe it’s just my inner critic telling me that I don’t listen to other’s views…

#16: Ask for feedback on how my actions affect people’s performance. (Model the Way)
            My Score: 6  Peer’s Score: 9  Manager’s Score: 6
SIMILARITY & DIFFERENCE: I think the scores in this behavior have a lot to do with the setting.  In fact, I think my leadership style/theory varies a lot based on setting.  The two main settings in my life at this time are school and work.  My peer scored me based on how she sees me at school and my manager at work.  This brings up an important point about how setting, and even more situation, matters on how a person uses their leadership skills and how others perceive them. 

#27: Speaks with conviction about meaning of work. (Inspire a Shared Vision)
            My Score: 9  Peer’s Score: 9  Manager’s Score: 6
SIMILARITY & DIFFERENCE:  These scores were opposite of the previous.  Again, I really think this has to do with setting.  My manager’s score kind of surprised me because I am very passionate about the things I do, especially everything involving leadership and the hospitality industry.  This really opened my eyes and made me realize even though I know I’m passionate about something, doesn’t mean the people around me know that—most of the time over communication is better than no communication. 

#28: Experiments and takes risks. (Challenge the Process)
            My Score: 4  Peer’s Score: 6  Manager’s Score: 5
SIMILARITY:  These scores do not surprise me at all.  It’s a consensus—I usually play it safe.  I do not necessarily think that playing it safe is a negative thing, but I think as a leader, myself and my team could miss out on potential opportunities.  Also, I think my lack of risk taking stems from my lack of confidence.  Overall, to develop this behavior, I need find a way to improve my confidence in decision-making.

I feel that my scores on this assessment were all pretty accurate and I think that my peer and manager scored me very fairly and honestly.   This assessment was a great reminder that a leader, or in my case, a leader in training, is not always viewed the same from different people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment